Five Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day this Year
Valentine’s Day is for more than just couples. Check out our five V-Day date itineraries and get inspired to spread the love with the people in your life, including your friends, family, and pups! Enjoy these experiences in University District and the surrounding NW Calgary community.
It’s always the right time to show your appreciation for your pals! Take time to gather, connect, and find new ways to celebrate your friendship with these YYC experiences.
- Start your date off with a visit to Fuwa Fuwa for an engaging dining experience. These fluffy souffle pancakes and other dessert delicacies are designed to be enjoyed with friends, from capturing fun videos, to sharing a variety of unique dishes.
- For a fun activity to do as a group, get your heart pumping at the University of Calgary Climbing and Bouldering Wall. They are open every day of the week and offer rentals so that everyone can participate in the fun.
- Finish off with a games night at Banquet Bar. Knock down some pins at their bowling alley, practice your putt on their mini green, or test your luck with a game of Jenga. If you want something a little more relaxing after rock climbing, head next door to the Cineplex VIP Theatre for a luxury movie experience.
Solo Self Care
There are no rules about how and who you should spend Valentine’s Day with. Plan the perfect self-care day by giving yourself a little extra love.
- Kick off your day with some pampering at one of U/D’s aesthetic services, including Foxy Box Wax Bar, Curious Salon, or Denim & Smith Barbershop.
- Get creative at Paint n Sip Night. All levels of art experience are welcome at this relaxing guided painting class for singles and couples where you can learn a few techniques for blending colors and creating a beautiful finished piece, all while enjoying some drinks and mingling with others.
Where: Espresso Cafe, 273 10 Street NW
When: Feb 14, 5-7 PM
To finish off your evening, visit Save-on-Foods to build your own personal charcuterie board, or make a special meal like their Smoked Apple Sage Sausage Picatta or Braised Chicken with Gnocchi and Arugula Pesto.
We know that pets play an important part in our lives and showing them some love on v-day is no exception. Bring your pooch along for these fun experiences you can share together.
- Take advantage of one of NW Calgary’s picturesque parks. Explore 11 square kilometers of trails winding through Nose Hill Park, or stay close to home with the pathways in U/D and the Urban Dog Park.
- Once you’re ready for a break, stop by the heated, dog friendly patio at Canadian Brewhouse and watch the skaters on the rink below in Central Commons Park.
To finish off your date, grab a sweet treat on Retail Main Street. Find drool-worthy pastries and tarts at Cobs Bread, and an abundance of biscuits and bones for your pup just down the block at Pet Planet.
While we make time for family year round why not use this Valentines Day as an opportunity to celebrate that love and spend some unique quality time with them!
- Spend the day tasting some of Calgary’s decadent drinks of YYC Hot Chocolate Fest, taking place throughout the month of February. Stop by Monogram Coffee on Retail Main Street to try their unique drink for 2023, and find other contestants to check out.
- Next, head to StoryBook theatre for a viewing of “Peter and the Starcatcher”. This award-winning play about how a miserable orphan comes to be The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up (a.k.a. Peter Pan) is entertaining for the whole family.
Where: StoryBook Theatre – 375 Bermuda Drive NW
When: February 10 – March 11 2023
To finish off your evening, stop by Village Ice Cream in U/D for a scoop of their new feature flavour of the month, or bring a pint home to enjoy around the table.
For the Romantics
If you have a partner you’re celebrating the holiday with, there are plenty of romantic activities to fill your day with, and special moments to share together.
- Join a local wine tasting to brush up on your knowledge, and experience a variety of unique wines. If you’re looking to add a little sparkle to your date night, join the “Bubbles for Lovers” tasting with Market Wines.
- Once you’ve worked up an appetite, share an elevated dining experience at the Borough Bar + Grill. Try one of their signature dishes like Pork Belly and Scallops, served with pecan nut butter, sherry and thyme jus, roasted cauliflower and confit squash. Explore their extensive cocktail list for a perfect pairing.
- To conclude your romantic evening, take a walk or skate around the outdoor rink in Central Commons Park. Check out the new giant light displays, and warm up by one of the community fire pits. The perfect way to snap a few photos to remember the experience.
These are a few of our favourite ideas for spending this Valentine’s day on your own, or with friends, family, and dogs! There are plenty of hot spots for entertainment, dining and shopping in the NW and on the U/D Retail Main Street that fit every type of date night. We hope you’re inspired to share some of these experiences with your loved ones!
Join the Discussion