Holiday Experiences in NW Calgary You Won’t Want to Miss
With the holiday season in full swing, we’re excited to share some of the most anticipated events and happenings around NW Calgary this season. Whether you like to stroll markets, relax with friends and family, or get moving, there are plenty of holiday activities to keep you entertained.
1. Stroll Through These Holiday Markets in U/D and beyond
- U/D Night Market – Holiday Edition: Stop by the Central Commons Park Grand Opening for an afternoon of family fun. A holiday edition of our popular night market in partnership with marketspot with local vendors, skating performances, music and entertainment, and hot cider from Pearson’s Berry Farm. December 4, 1-5 PM.
- Ranchlands Winter Craft Market: This market features local artisans and crafters selling handmade products, so you can find unique gifts for everyone on your list! December 1, 10 AM – 3 PM.
- Peak to Prairie Market at WinSport: Support small businesses by shopping at this local market hosted at WinSport. Stop by the Garden cafe or Hockey House afterwards to recharge and grab refreshments. December 11, 9:30 AM – 4 PM.
2. Visit the Festival of Lights
This year is the 35th Annual Display of the Lions Festival of Lights. Stop by Confederation Park anytime after 6pm starting on November 27th to enjoy the fun display. It can be viewed along 14 St NW, North of 24 Avenue.
3. Lace Up Your Skates
Visit Central Commons Park in U/D and try out the new outdoor skating rink following the grand opening December 4th. This state-of-the-art rink has temperature regulated ice so that it can be used all winter long. Stay warm with one of the fire pits, and take in the holiday lights.
Call Out: While in U/D be sure to stop by the Discovery Centre for some holiday decorating inspiration. We’ve partnered again this year with local designer Aly Velji on three unique ways to trim a tree. Take them in from Nov. 22-Dec. 21. Which one will be your favourite style?
4. Raise a Glass of Bubbly
Join Market Wines U/D for their “Bubbles Galore” tasting event to learn more about the world of sparkling wine. Sample Prosecco, Cava, and Cremant, and bring home a few bottles for your holiday celebrations. If you are looking to book an event for the holidays be sure to check out the nearby Borough Bar + Grill, Canadian Brewhouse and The Banquet. December 10, 1 PM & 4 PM
5. Enjoy “Home Alone in Concert”
Watch this classic Christmas comedy at the Jubilee Theatre, with music performed live by Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Taking place on December 9 and 10, this immersive event will be fun for the whole family.
6. Get Crafting in Varsity
Visit Varsity Community Centre for their Community Craft Day with community artist, Tracy Franks. You can decorate cookies, make your own holiday cards, create a hanging ornament, or build your favorite winter animal with colorful cardstock. Bring $5 and a donation to the food bank for admission. December 10, 2022 1-3 PM
7. Shop Unique Finds at Edelweiss Village
This stand-alone store off 19th Street NW carries imported goods from Germany, Poland, and eastern Europe, including authentic homeware and specialty food items that are perfect for the gift-giving season. Carrying everything from Cuckoo Clocks and Swedish linen, to rare cheeses and German tortes, you’ll enjoy wandering this shop! 1921 20 Avenue NW
8. Spend an Evening at the Ballet
The Nutcracker is a classical ballet enjoyed by many every holiday season. Book your tickets to the University Theatre at UCalgary to experience an adaptation of this holiday favourite by Jeunesse Classique Ballet featuring a cast of young and talented dancers. December 9-11 230 University Court NW
9. Hit the Hills at WinSport
If you want to get outside and get moving this winter, the Servus Tube Park at WinSport has eight lanes for tubing fun, plus a magic carpet to bring you and your tube back to the top. You can even link your tube together with your pals and go down the hill together! Equipment can be rented on site.
10. Pick Out the Perfect Tree
If you’re a traditionalist who loves the fresh smell of pine from a real tree, you can find the right one for your home this holiday season at Plantation Garden Centre. Their trees are 100% Canadian grown and sustainably harvested, and range from two to 14 feet tall. Trees arrive at the end of November.
Calgary’s Northwest is home to some of the best festive fun around the city, and these activities are sure to keep you entertained during the holiday season. Make sure to mark your calendars with these events, and stay tuned for more activities in University District and NW Calgary in the New Year.