Healthy Habits from Head to Toe!
by University District
Setting resolutions in the new year can be well-intended, but by the end of January, many have lost focus. How do you feel great, and set up habits that last? Read on for head-to-toe tips from our local U/D health and wellness experts.
The new year can be a tough time for many – we start strong, with resolutions and new habits, but sometimes the pressure of our good intentions becomes too much and we fall off track. Rather than latching onto the latest fads, our local experts are here to provide practical advice to help you get started and keep going, all year long.
Let’s start with getting our feet moving
The staff at YYC Cycle U/D will make you feel at home from the moment you walk through their doors. Whether you’re new to spin or a veteran, YYC Cycle has some great tips to kick off the new year right.
- Stay hydrated – Drink plenty of water during the day and bring water to class. It will keep your body hydrated and happy.
- Try out a new Motivator or change up your class time – You might discover a new favourite, and the shake-up for your schedule will keep you energized.
- Don’t forget to stretch – Those post-class stretches are the minimum your body needs, give yourself some more love and add stretching to your daily routine.
- Make a new Spinstie – Say “hi” to the person next to you, I bet they’re just as happy to make a new friend as you are!
Nervous about your first class? YYC Cycle has you covered. Check out their new rider tips before you head to the studio.
Follow them on Instagram at @yyccycle to keep up to date on their latest classes & tips!
Variety keeps you motivated
A good way to strengthen and tone your body is to keep your routine fresh. Orangetheory Fitness lets you work at your fitness level, and no two classes are ever the same. U/D’s location is offering reduced rates and free trial classes for new students and U/D residents. Their scientific approach to exercise will leave you feeling confident you’re making the most out of each workout.
Good for your mind, body and spirit
Getting outside is another important component to wellness. Logging some miles while getting fresh air is an easy routine to incorporate, no matter the season. Whether you’re looking for a place to exercise your pets or eager to explore a new running route, there’s a spot for everyone on the 12 km connected paths at U/D. Not sure where to go? Check out the U/D interactive tour to plan your next adventure and discover something new.
It is not just fitness that supports wellness
When you smile, your brain releases neuropeptides, which help fight off stress. Oral health is a key part of your overall wellness, and the team at University District Dental are here to help you. It is important to visit your dentist twice a year, and properly clean your teeth every day. Are you overdue for a check- up? Toothache or pain? You can book your first consultation with their team of experts online here.
A new hairstyle is a great way to add confidence and adjust your look without making a big investment. The team at Curious Hair Skin Body can also help you upgrade your skincare routine with face and body products to give you a confident glow.
A new year always brings new challenges to your finances. The start of the year is a great time to check in and plan for the year ahead. The team at Scotiabank has 4 tips to help organize your finances and prepare for the future.
- Set goals – Financial goal setting is the first step in creating a solid financial plan. When creating your goals, consider a combination of short-and long-term objectives
- Establish a budget – Remember, if you don’t know where you are, it’s difficult to get to where you want to go. A budget acts like a “you are here” marker on your financial roadmap.
- Automate payments – Another simple strategy you can use to manage your money is automation, which can make many financial tasks more efficient and effortless.
- Manage large and unexpected expenses – An installment plan can help you break up the payments for your purchases, like flights or a vacation rental, into smaller, more budget-friendly amounts.
Everyone has different requirements, so it is always best to connect with your financial experts as you go through your planning.
There you go! Simple ways to take care of yourself, from head to toe. At the University District, we are just as excited as you are to start the year off on the right foot. With new stores, restaurants and services opening soon, it will be easy to have a year of wellness in U/D.
There you go! Simple ways to take care of yourself, from head to toe. At the University District, we are just as excited as you are to start 2022 off on the right foot. With new stores, restaurants and services opening soon, it will be easy to have a year of wellness in U/D.