The Perfect Tips and Recipes for Burgers and BBQ This Summer!
by University District
Invite your friends and family to reconnect over a summer staple activity: firing up a BBQ! Enjoy the sun and warm breeze as you chat away along with some scrumptious cooking over the grill. University District has got you covered with planning the best barbeque ever! All you need to do is gather the ingredients and get cooking.
Communal BBQ and Patio Areas
While you are welcome to BBQ on your U/D patio or in one of the common courtyards like Esquire and Aria — which are well equipped with BBQ areas for residents — there are many parks and picnic sites in and around Calgary.
Did you know about these communal BBQ and patio areas in and around U/D?
These designated picnic site areas are available free for up to six hours –, on a first-come, first-served basis unless they are already reserved/booked. To ensure you have a BBQ and picnic site, book ahead with the City of Calgary.
Remember to book five days in advance and bring your issued permit with you to the picnic or BBQ site just in case.
TIP: At the Discovery Centre, there are a few tables and chairs set up for you to use! While this is not a BBQ spot per se, why not pick up smokey BBQ’d goodness from a Retail Main Street vendor and enjoy it here while you watch the world go by!
BBQs are Best at Bowness
Bowness Park is a beautiful spot to BBQ in the afternoons and evenings Monday to Friday from 3:15 pm – 9:15 pm or Saturday and Sunday lunch up to 2:45pm.
Barbeques at Bowness are free-standing metal containers which allow you to burn firewood or charcoal briquettes inside. You will need something to light the fire with, so pack matches or a lighter. Bring some tin foil too if you plan to cook directly on top of the barbeque to be sure you have a clean surface. Or how about roasting sticks for cooking inside the barbeque, closer to the heat! Chicken kabobs anyone?!
You can also bring your own camp-style or backyard barbeque into the park, provided it is propane-fuelled and does not use charcoal. Wheeling in a larger barbecue fuelled by propane is also acceptable!
Avoid frustration or disappointment and book your space ahead of time! Go here!
Tip: Pets are allowed, too! Be sure to bring all the essentials and playthings to make your pet’s time fun, safe and respectful of others.
Let’s Get Cooking!
We love our recipes and catering to all dietary preferences keeps us challenged! Here are some of our U/D grilling favourites for meat lovers, fish fans and veggie-types!
TIP: You can get all of the ingredients for these recipes and more from Save-on-Foods, now open in University District!
Summer fun in #YYC smells like BBQ! Let’s go! There are some amazing recipes offered by Save-On-Foods this summer.
You and your guests will love this Mexican Avocado Corn Salsa Smoked Sausage Hotdog for meat lovers! Make your BBQ a hands-on culinary event!
For ingredients to make 5 servings, you’ll need:
5 hotdog buns
1 cob of corn, to char (kernels will need to be removed)
½ avocado, cut into ¼ inch dice
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lime juice
¼ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese or feta
For the sauce:
1 tsp lime juice
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp sriracha
Directions are as follows:
- Preheat the grill to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine corn, avocado, scallions, coriander, olive oil and lime juice. Mix well, season to taste and reserve.
- Whisk together mayo, lime juice and sriracha and reserve.
- Grill sausages.
- Divide salsa between buns. Add the sausages, drizzle with sriracha mayo and top crumbled cheese.
No worries! We’ve got the perfect ingredients for a Marvellous Veggie Burger!
Ingredients to make four servings, you’ll need:
4 hamburger buns
4 veggie burger patties
1 tomato, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
ketchup and mustard (optional)
Follow these instructions to assemble and serve the most delicious veggie burgers:
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill burger patties according to packaging. Add a slice of medium cheddar cheese to the patty during the last minute on the grill.
- Heat the buns for about a minute on the grill.
- Serve patties on toasted buns along with lettuce leaves, slices of tomato, and slices of red onion or other toppings of your choice.
- Bon appetit!
Want something from under the sea? We got you covered…
Salmon with Peach Salsa
For 4 servings, these are the ingredients you’ll need:
1 pound skin-on salmon filets (about 4 pieces)
For a marinade:
½ tsp each ground cumin, black pepper, paprika, and chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tbsp packed brown sugar
For the peach salsa:
½ tsp olive oil
¾ cup onion, thinly sliced
½ tsp granulated sugar
¾ lbs soft, ripe peaches, peeled, chopped
½ small papaya, peeled and finely chopped
½ jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely diced
⅙ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 ½ tbsp lime juice
½ tbsp lemon juice
½ tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Grill some tasty salmon with these directions:
- Combine the cumin, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper and brown sugar in a small bowl. Place salmon fillets skin side down on a lightly oiled or sprayed baking sheet. Gently rub mixture into the flesh. Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over medium low heat. Add onion. Sauté until soft, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and continue cooking and stirring for another 35 minutes. Do not overheat. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Coarsely chop onion and place in a medium bowl.
- Add peaches, papaya, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime and lemon juices, and olive oil to the onion. Mix gently. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat broiler or barbecue. Grill fillets approx. 8 minutes, depending on their thickness (10 minutes per 2.5 cm thickness). When done, the fish should flake easily when tested with a fork. Top with peach salsa and enjoy!
At U/D, summers are for sizzling! Fire up the BBQs and get ready to grill. What better place to strike up conversations and live it up outdoors once more! Do you have any BBQ ideas to share? Post your tips and recipes on University District on Facebook, @udistrictyyc_ on Instagram or Twitter. Happy summer everyone!