2022 Year in Review - Celebrating U/D Milestones
2022 was a big year for U/D! Our Retail Main Street grew with exciting additions, we welcomed a new builder, connected at community events, opened a new park space and won big at the BILD Alberta and CHBA Awards. We are looking forward to the year ahead and we are proud of the many people who have helped make U/D one of the most desirable neighbourhoods in Calgary.
Over the last 12 months, U/D’s community vision has continued to grow thanks to plenty of new retailers and events.
Says Maureen Henderson, VP of Community Experience for University of Calgary Properties Group, “In 2022, we saw the vision for University District truly emerge as reality. The people who live here, the businesses opening their doors and all of the incredible people who visit or work nearby are making the community an incredible place to live, work and play.” She continues, “Celebrating major milestones like the opening of Central Commons Park, construction on the Alt Hotel and selling out four different residential projects are just a few of the ways this year has been a pivotal one for our community.”
Five things to celebrate in U/D this year
1. U/D welcomes more retailers. More than a dozen retailers opened this year including McDonald’s, Fuwa Fuwa, Borough Bar + Grill, Village Ice Cream, Cobs Bread, The Hearing Loss Clinic, Bottoms Up Scrubs and The Banquet. We also welcomed the first office tenants to U/D Clara Optometry, Hi-Flyer and Cloudbreak.
2. U/D wins big at industry awards. As the developer for U/D, UCPG was recently recognized with three prestigious awards at the annual BILD Alberta Awards, the Developer Pinnacle Award, Best Existing Community and Best Community Feature, for the inclusive playground in Northwest Commons Park. U/D was also recognized by the Canadian Home Builders’ Association National Awards for Housing Excellence as Canada’s Best Growing Community. Locally U/D also earned the title of Best Future Neighbourhood by Avenue Magazine this past June.
3. U/D brings back community events. The 2022 U/D events calendar was once again full of pop-ups, signature events and community happenings. In addition to celebrating the annual Block Party and Tails & Treasures events, we launched the U/D Night Market and saw the return of summer pop-ups. On December 4th, U/D celebrated the grand opening of Central Commons Park. We couldn’t be more excited to have been able to once again connect with the community throughout the year.
4. U/D sells out four residential projects and welcomes new ones. Our builders have been keeping busy this year! August, Maple, Ivy and Esquire all sold out this year. Adding to the growing number of residents that call U/D home Major construction milestones were also reached with both Capella and Argyle. We also welcomed a new builder , Rohit Communities and their project Dean’s Landing offering condos and stacked townhomes. Construction of The Forge by Vivenda Group began which will offer purpose built rentals.
5. U/D Opens Central Commons Park. On December 4 we officially welcomed Calgary to discover Central Commons Park. After years of design, planning and construction, this unique space is ready to establish itself as a community hub. The refrigerated skating rink, BBQ’s, splash pad and fire features are just a few of the ways this park will be a hub of community in northwest Calgary. Bring your skates and stop by to check it out!
Five things to look forward to in 2023
1. The opening of the Alt Hotel. We are excited to see the Alt Hotel open their doors in 2023. In addition to bringing 155 hotel rooms into the community, the Alt Hotel will also be home to boardrooms and business spaces, a signature restaurant and more.
2. New retailers. If you have walked down University Avenue lately, you will notice all the new retailers there are to explore and 2023 will see more new additions. The first new retailer to open will be The AdaptAbility Store anticipated in February. Stay tuned to see who else you can expect to be opening up U/D with new announcements to come.
3. New office tenants. We will be adding to the growing list of offices calling U/D home in 2023 .Among them UCPG is excited to be moving into the community with their office relocating in early 2023.
4. Purpose built rentals from Gracorp Properties. Gracorp Properties is a subsidiary of Graham Construction, one of Canada’s largest and most well-respected construction companies. With the proven success of U/D’s Aria, their 2023 plans are sure to be welcomed by the community. Stay tuned for details!
5. The return of The U/D Night Market. Back by popular demand, the U/D Night Market will be even bigger and better in 2023. The signature U/D event will move to Central Commons Park allowing for more people to take in the sights and sounds. Adding to the growing list of events throughout the year.
Join the Discussion